Screen readers: Two navigational links to follow.Skip to site navigation.Skip to page content.
The University of Iowa News Services
The University of Iowa News Services Home News Releases UI in the News Subscribe to UI News Contact Us

University of Iowa News Release


April 12, 2011

Media Advisory: CLAS to dedicate Stuit Hall -- UI's first LEED renovation project -- April 14

WHAT: Dedication of Stuit Hall, the new hub for the University of Iowa Department of Psychology's clinical psychology program. Stuit Hall won awards for historic preservation, but is also a "green" building -- the first LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)-certified renovation on campus. The building is named in honor of the late Dewey Stuit, a UI psychology professor who served as the dean of liberal arts for three decades, and whose generous bequest made the renovation possible. The event includes tours, remarks, refreshments and historic photos.

WHEN: 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, April 14.

WHERE: Second floor of Stuit Hall (formerly the Old Music Building), at the corner of Gilbert and Jefferson streets in Iowa City.

WHO: Remarks by Rich Wretman, vice president for main campus development at the UI Foundation, UI President Sally Mason, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) Dean Linda Maxson, and Psychology Department Chair Alan Christensen. Members of the Stuit family will be in attendance. Sponsors are CLAS, the Department of Psychology, the Office of the President, and the UI Foundation.


Stuit led the college through the rapid postwar growth of higher education. Undergraduate enrollment nearly doubled, from 6,500 in 1947 to 12,000 in 1977, and the number of majors grew from 28 to 57. During his tenure, the honors program was established, and he instituted student evaluations of faculty and faculty self-governance bylaws.

The 22,000-square-foot building that now bears his name was constructed in 1915 as an isolation ward for the original University Hospital. Its south face was adorned with white wooden balconies, which provided light and fresh air to tuberculosis patients until 1928, when the hospital moved to the west campus. The facility was converted for use by the music department until 1971, when the Voxman Music Building was built. After that, parts of the building became graduate painting studios.

Today, the ground floor houses the Seashore Psychology Clinic, where students, under the supervision of faculty and staff, provide psychological assessments and therapy to the community. The first, second and third floors house lab space for clinical psychology faculty.

The 17-month, $3.7 million renovation was completed in September 2010. Sustainability features include daylighting, a rain garden to capture storm water from the roof, occupancy sensors to control electric lights, new insulation and windows, low-VOC (volatile organic compound) and formaldehyde-free products, energy-efficient mechanicals, and recycling storage and collection centers on every floor.

The project won recognition from the Friends of Historic Preservation, and the Iowa City and Johnson County Historic Preservation Commissions. The design team selected materials that match the originals -- like a slate roof with finials, similar windows, hand-bent copper gutters, and restored brick and woodwork.

For more information or to view then-and-now photos, visit

STORY SOURCE: University of Iowa News Services, 300 Plaza Centre One, Suite 371, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-2500

MEDIA CONTACT: Nicole Riehl, 319-384-0070, Please notify Riehl in advance if you plan to cover this event.