Sept. 2, 2009
Safety guidelines and fan information for Hawkeye football games
For the safety and enjoyment of all fans at Kinnick Stadium, the University of Iowa and the Iowa Hawkeyes encourage respectful, courteous, and considerate behavior by all fans. The following guidelines, rules, policies, and information will assist in providing the very best game-day experience for you and your family at historic Kinnick Stadium.
New for 2009
* Friday night tailgating--Fans tailgating Friday nights on public property are reminded that the possession of an open container of beer or wine or consumption of hard liquor is prohibited by law. Law enforcement officers will ask a fan to empty the container and may issue a citation.
* Game day parking fees--Car-$15.00, RV-$30.00, Bus-$40.00.
* Wood fires not permitted-Open wood fires or wood fires enclosed in portable fire pits are not permitted. Fans can utilize LP or charcoal in an approved grill.
* Street closing--Melrose Avenue at the corner of Hawkins Drive will be closed to vehicular traffic going west approximately 1 hour before game time. This will increase the safety of pedestrian traffic.
* Upgraded chairback program--Cushion Seats Inc. will coordinate the Kinnick Stadium Chairback program. Season-long and game-by-game leases are available. Please call 1-866-895-7109 or go online at http://www.hawkeyecushion.com for additional information.
* The UI is a smoke-free campus. Consistent with the Smoke-Free Air Act, Chapter 142D, Code of Iowa, that became law in the State of Iowa on July 1, 2008, smoking inside or around Kinnick Stadium or anywhere on the UI campus is prohibited. Please respect our campus and respect state law.
* Pre-Paid Parking-All season ticket customers who have access to priority parking lots as a result of their annual contribution to the National I-Club will be required to prepay for their game-day parking. No financial transactions will take place at the entrance to priority parking lots on game day. Please contact the UI Athletics Ticket office at 319-335-9327 or 1-800-IA-HAWKS.
* Recycle-Plastics recycling will now be available in Kinnick Stadium.
* Please stay off the field. For the safety of participants and spectators, at no time before, during and after a game are spectators permitted to enter the playing field.
Following are the rules regarding possession and use of alcohol in university areas used for parking, parties and tailgate activities:
* No beer trucks, kegs, hard liquor or open bars are permitted in UI parking lots and ramps.
* State law prohibits the consumption of hard liquor and the possession of an opened bottle of hard liquor. Law enforcement officers will empty an opened, visible bottle of hard liquor and issue citations to violators.
* On Saturday game days, only beer and wine are allowed on UI property including parking lots and ramps.
* No alcohol of any kind is allowed in parking lot 14, at the corner of Melrose and South Grand Avenue which is designated an alcohol-free contributor and general public lot.
* No one under the age of 21, nor anyone of legal age who is "obviously intoxicated", is allowed to consume alcoholic beverages.
* No alcoholic beverages may be sold, nor may you ask for donations to pay for alcoholic beverages.
* Open alcoholic containers will not be allowed on streets, sidewalks, or public ways.
* Inebriated people will not be admitted to Kinnick Stadium.
* With the exception of areas covered by the UI liquor license, please remember alcohol possession and consumption are not allowed within Kinnick Stadium. Violations of this policy will result in immediate ejections and be subject to prosecution and student discipline as applicable.
If you serve alcoholic beverages, do the following:
* Have plenty of non-alcoholic beverages available and serve adequate food to reduce the effects of alcohol.
* Encourage your guests to use alcohol responsibly.
* Select a designated driver or stop serving/consuming alcohol several hours before attempting to drive.
Following are continuing safety guidelines:
* All entrance gates open 90 minutes prior to kickoff.
* Patrons will not be permitted to exit and re-enter Kinnick Stadium. Fans can remain in the concourse area around the stadium, and at halftime in the Krause Family Plaza, which is available through Gate A.
* Officials request that all beverages consumed in the parking lots and other university areas be in plastic or paper containers.
* Soft drinks and water will be sold inside the stadium, and water fountains are available throughout the stadium. Only sealed plastic water bottles are allowed in the stadium. No other beverage cans or bottles purchased outside the stadium will be allowed.
* Only small purses (8 X 11), fanny packs, binocular cases, blankets and seat cushions will be allowed in Kinnick Stadium. All items will be searched. All persons attending the games are subject to search. The university reserves the right to refuse entry to anyone.
* The following items may not be taken into the stadium: bags of any size, alcoholic beverages, botas, all coolers, canned and bottled beverages purchased outside of the stadium (except sealed plastic water bottles), thermoses, kegs, backpacks, camelbacks, banner and signs, large lens cameras, tripods, personal seat backs, strollers, noisemakers, horns, bugles and all other disruptive devices. These items should be left in your vehicle. Admission will be denied to anyone carrying any such items. Patrons can utilize coin-operated lockers located in the UI Recreation Building located immediately NW of the stadium to secure items not permitted in Kinnick Stadium. The UI Athletics Department is not responsible for items placed in lockers or left at gates.
* No objects may be thrown from or in the stands.
* No body passing is permitted in the stands.
* Open wood fires or wood fires in portable fire pits are not permitted in any lot or ramp.
* Amplified sound and grills are not permitted in UI parking ramps.
* Amplified sound in parking lots should be confined to your tailgate area.
* Police officers will respond to complaints about unsafe and/or disruptive behavior.
* The UI Athletic Department may revoke the ticket privileges of any individual who violates any provision of its policy included in ticket mailings. Violations include, but are not limited to, incapacitation due to excessive drunkenness or the use of illegal drugs, citation or arrest for throwing objects, resisting arrest, obstruction, battery, public urination, or disorderly conduct involving violent or indecent behavior, or arrest for any violation of the code of Iowa.
As in the past, individuals who violate stadium policies, present a safety threat or are disruptive may be removed from the stadium and may be subject to arrest. Disruptive UI students may also be disciplined under the provisions of the Code of Student Life. In particular, students found guilty of throwing objects may face suspension or expulsion from the university. Additional game day information can be found at the Gameday Central link at http://www.hawkeyesports.com.
Following are policies and procedures regarding football game-day parking:
* An interactive map indicating the various parking lots available for use on football game days is located at http://www.uifootballparking.com. Capacity in some parking lots may be reduced due to flood recovery and restoration needs.
* Selected university parking lots open at 7 p.m. on Friday before all home games. All other UI parking lots open at 7 a.m. on the day of each home game.
* Parking for people with disabilities is available in Hospital Ramp No. 2 east of Kinnick Stadium and limited space in the surface lot north of Kinnick Stadium.
* Hawkeye Express-Take the train to the game. Service to Kinnick Stadium -- a 10-minute ride -- begins three hours prior to kickoff. Parking is free and located minutes off Interstate 80 near the IHOP restaurant and south of the Coral Ridge Mall. Round-trip train service cost just $10.00 per person and children under 12 ride free.
* Panel trucks, rental trucks, buses with storage decks on top are not permitted. Pull behind trailers/5th wheels are not permitted in reserved lots but space is available in the Hawkeye Commuter lot west of Finkbine Golf Course off of Mormon Trek.
* Parking spaces are for vehicles only. The use of a parking space for other reason, such as portable grills, tents, chairs, etc. is not permitted.
* Saving spaces for other motorists is not permitted in any lot.
STORY SOURCE: University Relations, 101 Jessup Hall, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1000
MEDIA CONTACT: Tom Moore, 319-356-3945, email@example.com