Screen readers: Two navigational links to follow.Skip to site navigation.Skip to page content.
The University of Iowa News Services
The University of Iowa News Services Home News Releases UI in the News Subscribe to UI News Contact Us

University of Iowa News Release


Oct. 23, 2008

New book explores history of Iowa City house where Grant Wood lived

Richard Alan King and James P. Hayes will sign copies of "1142," the new book about the history and growth of the Iowa City house where Grant Wood lived when he was on the faculty of the University of Iowa, noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 1, in the Prairie Lights bookstore at 15 S. Dubuque St. in downtown Iowa City.

Author Richard Alan King is a graduate of the UI School of Art and Art History, and Hayes, an Iowa City lawyer, is the current owner and resident of the house at 1142 E. Court St.

The house, usually known as the Grant Wood House or the Oakes-Wood House, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

The new book was researched and written with the assistance of the Special Collections and University Archives of the UI Libraries, the UI Museum of Art and other regional arts and cultural institutions. The prologue was written by Wallace Tomasini, a faculty member and former director of the UI School of Art and Art History.

Grant Wood purchased the house in 1935 and lived there until his death in 1942. Hayes purchased the house in 1975 and has been dedicated to the building's preservation and remodeling.

The School of Art and Art History is a unit of the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

For UI arts information and calendar updates, visit To receive UI arts news by e-mail, go to and click the link "Join or Leave ACR News," then follow the instructions.

STORY SOURCE: University of Iowa Arts Center Relations, 300 Plaza Centre One, Suite 351, Iowa City, IA 52242-2500

MEDIA CONTACTS: Jan Weissmiller, Prairie Lights, 319-337-2681,; Winston Barclay, Arts Center Relations, 319-384-0073,