University of Iowa News Release
May 2, 2006
Photo: Jan Warren, administrator for student programs at the Belin-Blank Center, served as keynote speaker for the 2006 Building our Global Communities Global Certificate Awards ceremony. Warren earned a Global Certificate in Spring 2005 and spoke to certificate recipients about how she has utilized what she learned from the program into her work at the University.
UI International Programs Awards 34 Global Certificates This Spring
UI International Programs has awarded 34 Global Certificates to faculty and staff for their participation and involvement in the "Building our Global Community" workshop series. The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) facilitates the program with the support and expertise of the UI Office of Learning and Development (UILD).
To help meet the needs of UI faculty and staff who work with international students, OISS and UILD offer a staff training program on the issues and skills relevant to serving international students and scholars. Participants who complete the required introductory workshop and their choice of four specialized workshops over a two-year period receive a Global Certificate. The workshops provide staff and faculty with useful skills and insight as they seek to educate and serve international students and scholars.
"This is really the flip side of what we do for international students with respect to educational and cross-cultural programming," said Helen Jameson, assistant director of programming for OISS and coordinator of the series. "We are thrilled to be able to offer programs which provide UI employees the tools and knowledge base necessary to be part of an increasingly globally diverse campus which recognizes and values the resources that international students offer our campus."
According to Jameson, 56 faculty and staff members have received certificates since the program's inception in 2004.
Recipients of the 2006 Global Certificates are:
- Karen LuRee S. Albertus, College of Public Health
- Alice M. Atkinson, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- Susan L. Beckett, College of Engineering
- Rebecca S. Bohde, Language Media Center
- Brett S. Cloyd, University Libraries
- Philip S. Ecklund, Department of Biological Sciences
- Susan R. Felker, Tippie College of Business
- Julie A. Fell, Office of the Registrar
- Patricia Foster, Office of Admissions
- Diane T. Graber, Office of the Registrar
- Scott R. Graves, Office of International Students and Scholars
- Shirley I. Green, College of Nursing
- Anna M. Guengerich, Iowa Testing Programs
- Diana Harris, College of Engineering
- Cheryl A. Huyck, University Libraries
- Jessica J. Kriebs, Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
- Gabriele Ludewig, Department of Occupational and Environmental Health
- Susan A. Luloff, Office of Admissions
- Debra K. McFall-Wallerich, College of Nursing
- Twila Meder, College of Engineering
- Tracy A. Mixon, University Libraries
- Linda S. Myers, College of Nursing
- Gayle A. Nelson, Student Health Services
- Michel S. Pontarelli, Office of International Students and Scholars
- Kathleen R. Reeves, University Bands
- Karen Robertson, Human Resources
- Nancy J. Schneider, College of Engineering
- Carlos Serrato, Office of Student Life
- Michelle Snyder, Office of International Students and Scholars
- Vicki Vavra, Tippie College of Business
- Carlette L. Washington-Hoagland, University Libraries
- Dorian Walker, Human Resources
- James C. Walker, Health Protection Office
- Ryan S. Wells, College of Education
For more information about the program, contact Jameson at email@example.com or 319-335-0335.
OISS is part of UI International Programs, which consists of a number of offices, centers, degree programs, academic programs, research projects, and services. Organized under the associate provost for academic programs and dean for international programs, these units serve to further internationalize the campus and community and promote global scholarship, research and teaching.
STORY SOURCE: University of Iowa News Services, 300 Plaza Centre One, Suite 371, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-2500.
CONTACTS: Media: Lois Gray, 319-335-2026, firstname.lastname@example.org; Program: Helen Jameson, 319-335-3584; Writer: Kelli Andresen