University of Iowa News Release
April 12, 2006
Engineering Research Open House Scheduled April 20
The College of Engineering will host its fourth Annual Research Open House from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Thursday, April 20, at the Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences. Designed to encourage interdisciplinary research among students, faculty and staff, it is free and open to the public.
The event will showcase, celebrate and promote research activities, capabilities and accomplishments of the College of Engineering's faculty, students and staff. It will also provide opportunities for graduate and undergraduate recruitment; development of new industrial contacts; and better information for the university and the local community about the research capabilities of the college.
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Welcome Area and Information Desk, Lobby, south entrance to Seamans Center.
- 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Research Poster Viewing, throughout Seamans Center (SC).
- 9-10 a.m. Student Seminar, "How to Find a Job After Graduate School," Room 3210 SC, Nagi Gebraeel, Industrial Engineering and Phil Jordan, Professional Development.
- 9:30-10:45 a.m. Student Seminar for those interested in graduate school, Rockwell Collins Conference Room, Room 3111 SC, Allan Guyman, chemical engineering.
- 1:30-2:20 p.m. Student Seminar, "How to do a Technical Presentation," Summers Electronic Classroom, Room 2229 SC, Mark Isham, Department of English.
- 3:30-4:20 p.m. Faculty Seminar, "Export Control Awareness," MidAmerican Energy Classroom, Room 2217 SC, Lisa Leff, UI Division of Sponsored Programs.
- 4:30-6 p.m. Paul D. Scholz Symposium on Technology and its Role in Society, "Emergency Management," Macbride Auditorium, with featured speakers Michael Davis, Duane Arnold Energy Center; Bonnie D. Rubin, University of Iowa Hygienic Laboratory; and Col. Duane P. Gapinski, Army Corps of Engineers.
Various departments and research programs participating in the open house are:
- Biomedical Engineering, Fourth Floor, 4500 Hallway.
- Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Second Floor Lobby.
- Civil and Environmental Engineering, Second Floor Commons.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering, Fourth Floor, 4000 Hallway.
- Industrial Engineering, Second Floor Commons.
- Mechanical Engineering, Third Floor, 3500 Hallway.
- Center for Computer-Aided Design, Third Floor, 3500 Hallway.
- Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Second Floor, Lobby.
- Center for Global & Regional Environmental Research, Fourth Floor, 4000 Hallway.
- IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering, Fourth Floor, 4500 Hallway.
- Biomedical Imaging Group, Second Floor Lobby.
The Research Open House is aimed at anyone interested in learning more about ongoing research activities in the college. Participants will have an opportunity to meet and network with potential collaborators, as well as learn more about the academic programs for those considering the College of Engineering for their studies.
For more information, updates and a listing of poster abstracts, see: http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/research/research-open-house.html.
STORY SOURCE: University of Iowa News Services, 300 Plaza Centre One, Suite
371, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-2500.
MEDIA CONTACT: Gary Galluzzo, 319-384-0009, firstname.lastname@example.org