CONTACT: GARY GALLUZZO
300 Plaza Centre One
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 384-0009; fax (319) 384-0024
Release: May 14, 2002
UI to receive Iowa City Historic Preservation Commission Awards
The University of Iowa will be recognized for historically appropriate work
done on two campus buildings during the 2002 City of Iowa City Historic Preservation
Commission Awards Ceremony to be held at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 15 at St.
Wenceslaus Church, 630 E. Davenport St.
The first of two Certificates of Recognition being given to the university
is for renovation of the Old Biology Building, located at the corner of Dubuque
and Jefferson Street and originally constructed for the College of Medicine
in 1902. The four-story building's top floor, a 1920s addition originally
designed to hold animals, was removed and replaced with a penthouse, while
the remaining three floors were gutted, except for floors, corridor walls
and interior structure, and replaced with new construction. The new interior,
consisting of 13 research laboratories, support facilities and faculty offices,
is the equivalent of a new building. Project participants include: UI project
manager Stephen Buckman of the UI Facilities Services Group (FSG); UI Department
representative Jack Lilien, chair, department of biological sciences; project
consultants Chery Peterson and Rob Nelson of Brooks Borg Skiles Architecture
Engineering, Des Moines; and contractor McComas Lacina Construction, Inc.
of Iowa City.
The second UI project is the modernization of the five-story IIHR Hydraulics
Laboratory Building, located at the intersection of Burlington Street and
Riverside Drive and dating to 1932. The renovation replaced experimental space
with office and research space, reflecting the change in research methodology
from hands-on experimentation to computer modeling. The open floor plans allow
for a sharing of natural light and exterior views while the preservation of
existing masonry walls and the steel structure celebrates the historic character
of the building and the University of Iowa College of Engineering's IIHR-Hydroscience
and Engineering. Similarly, the design of the masonry-clad penthouse recalls
the character and architecture of the original facility. Project participants
include: UI project manager/architect Gary Nagle, AIA, of FSG; UI department
representative V.C. Patel, IIHR director; project consulting architect Bradd
Brown, AIA, of OPN Architects, Inc., Cedar Rapids; and Lincoln Pearce and
Brian Wegerer of KJWW Engineering Consultants of Rock Island, Ill.; and contractor
Merit Construction Company of Cedar Rapids.