CONTACT: STEVE PARROTT
5 Old Capitol
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 335-0557; fax (319) 335-0558
'Postcards from the University of Iowa' video to be broadcast on
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- "Postcards from the University of Iowa,"
an 11-minute video update about the UI, will be broadcast next Monday,
Wednesday and Friday on UITV, the university's cable channel. The video
will be featured at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 17 and at 3:30 p.m. Feb. 19.
"Postcards" features UI President Mary Sue Coleman and several
other UI faculty and staff providing information about innovative programs.
Others interviewed and their topics of discussion are:
* Traevena Potter-Hall, assistant director of admissions, on recent developments
in student programs and opportunities;
* Thomas Rocklin, professor of psychological and quantitative foundations
and director of the UI Center for Teaching, on a new program for teaching
faculty of using computers in the classroom;
* Pamela Trimpe, curator at the UI Museum of Art, on the success of the
Victorian Fairies painting exhibition and the role of the arts in educating
* David J. Skorton, vice president for research, speaking about the role
that research plays in education of both undergraduate and graduate students;
* Robert Kelch, dean of the College of Medicine, about plans for expanding
the education and research facilities at the college;
* Dan Gable, former UI wrestling coach, on UI sports programs.
The video was developed especially for audiences of UI alumni across
the state and the nation, but is appropriate for all audiences. Service
organizations and clubs interested in showing the video to their membership
may call University Relations, phone (319) 335-0557.
In Iowa City and Coralville, UITV is on cable channel 12. It is on cable
channel 97 Hills, North Liberty, Oxford, Tiffin, West Branch, Shueyville,
Swisher, Solon, and West Liberty.