CONTACT: PETER ALEXANDER
100 Old Public Library
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 384-0072; fax (319) 384-0024
Record-setting 'Fairy Painting' exhibition, now closed at UI, goes
to New York
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- "Victorian Fairy Painting," the record-setting
exhibition that recently closed at the University of Iowa Museum of Art,
will add one of the most distinguished exhibition spaces in New York City
to its tour next fall, appearing Oct. 13-Jan. 17, 1999, at the Frick Collection,
1 East 70th Street in Manhattan.
"Victorian Fairy Painting" closed at the UI Sunday, May 24,
with a total attendance of 25,169 over a period of 12 weeks. The previous
attendance record at the Museum of Art was held by the exhibition "Plain
Pictures: Images of the American Prairie," which was seen by 14,455
visitors over a similar period in the fall of 1996.
"Victorian Fairy Painting" was first shown during the winter
at the Royal Academy of Arts in London, where it also broke attendance
records. The exhibition was organized by Pamela White Trimpe, Curator of
Painting and Sculpture and assistant director of the UI Museum of Art,
working with members of the Royal Academy. The New York showing will feature
a portion of the original exhibition, selected by Edgar Munhall, curator
of the Frick Collection.
Having closed at the UI Museum of Art, the exhibition will now travel
to the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto, where it will be shown June 20-Sept.
13. The addition of the Frick Collection to the tour brings to four the
number of museums where the exhibition will be seen.
The Frick Collection comprises an anthology of some of the most celebrated
works of western art from the early Renaissance through the late 19th century,
including masterpieces by Bellini, El Greco, Rembrandt, Titian, Turner,
Vermeer, Whistler and many others. These paintings are complemented by
one of the world's finest collections of Renaissance bronzes and by great
French sculpture of the 18th century. These treasures are surrounded by
outstanding decorative art works from the ateliers of Riesener, Lacroix,
Boulle, Carlin, Gouthiere and Sevres.
Each year more than 250,000 visitors from New York, across America and
around the world come to the collection's famed Fifth Avenue mansion, once
the residence of Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919). Designed by Thomas Hastings
of Carrere and Hastings, and constructed in 1913-1914, the building was
changed after Mrs. Frick's death in 1931, with alterations and additions
made by the architect John Russell Pope. The collection opened to the public
The Frick Collection is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays
and from 1 to 6 p.m. Sundays. Admission is $7 ($5 for students and senior
citizens). Children under 10 are not admitted to the collection, and those
under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
"Victorian Fairy Painting" and its companion book examine
the portrayal of fairies in art and literature from the late 18th to the
early 20th centuries. The exhibition includes paintings by both well and
lesser known artists, including J.M.W. Turner, John Everett Millais, Richard
Dadd, John Anster Fitzgerald, J. Edwin Landseer, Richard Doyle and Joseph