CONTACT: GARY GALLUZZO
100 Old Public Library
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 384-0009; fax (319) 384-0024
UI researcher wins national new faculty award
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Assistant Professor of Chemistry Edward G. Gillan,
faculty member in the University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts, has been
selected to receive one of only 11 five-year, $25,000 Camille and Henry
Dreyfus New Faculty Awards given nationally by the Camille and Henry Dreyfus
Foundation for 1997.
Under the terms of the award, Gillan will use the award as an unrestricted
research grant. The purpose of the award is to provide funding for new
faculty members at the start of their research and teaching activities.
Gillan came to the university in 1997 after earning his bachelor's degree
from the University of California, Berkeley in 1989 and his doctorate in
chemistry from UCLA in 1994. He served as a postdoctoral research associate
at Harvard University from 1994 to 1995 and at Rice University from 1995
to 1997. His research involves the use of molecular compounds in the growth
of solid state materials, such as crystals.
In addition to the UI, other universities winning 1997 Dreyfus New Faculty
Awards are: Harvard University, Princeton University, Cornell University,
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Duke University, The University of Texas
at Austin, Purdue University, Stanford University, the University of Washington,
and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc. of New York was established
in 1946 by Swiss-born chemist, inventor and businessman Camille Dreyfus
as a memorial to his brother, Henry, "to advance the science of chemistry,
chemical engineering and related sciences as a means of improving human
relations and circumstances around the world." The Dreyfus brothers
dedicated their lives to the scientific and commercial development of cellulose
acetate and related chemicals, resulting in the formation of the Celanese
companies in Britain, Canada and the United States and contributing to
the evolution of the modern chemical industry. The Foundation became a
memorial to both men after Camille died in 1956.