CONTACT: STEVE PARROTT
5 Old Capitol
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 335-0557; fax (319) 335-0558
UI football fans asked to cooperate with "Safe Saturday"
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa football fans are again being
asked to cooperate in following "Safe Saturday" guidelines in
Kinnick Stadium and UI parking areas at home games this fall.
"The goal of Safe Saturday is to provide every fan with a safe
and civil environment in which to enjoy the game. To achieve that goal,
we must have everyone's cooperation," says Phillip E. Jones, UI vice
president for student services.
A brochure containing Kinnick Stadium policy was sent to all football
season ticket holders. Signs with safety information are also posted outside
Kinnick Stadium. These are the guidelines:
* Only bags smaller than 18 by 12 by 9 inches will be allowed into the
stadium, and all bags will be searched at entrance gates. People attending
the games may also be subject to searches for banned items.
* The following items are not allowed inside the stadium: alcoholic
beverages, botas, coolers, canned and bottled beverages, thermos containers
larger than 32 ounces, banners, seat backs, noisemakers, horns, bugles,
video cameras, and all other disruptive devices.
* Smoking is prohibited in seating areas, concourses, rest rooms and
the press box of Kinnick Stadium. Smoking is allowed only in the four marked
open air corners of the stadium.
* All people attending the game are encouraged to remain in the stadium
to enjoy the halftime activities. Re-entry passes will be available only
during halftime. Those leaving the stadium at other times will not be provided
a pass for re-entry.
To encourage fans to remain in the stadium during halftime, the concourse
area around the stadium has been expanded. Additional concession stands
and portable toilets are located in those areas.
* No objects may be thrown from or in the stands.
* No body-passing is permitted in the stands.
* No beer trucks, kegs, or open bars are permitted in UI parking lots
* No grills, open fires or amplified sound are permitted in the UI parking
ramps near the stadium.
* Fans are urged to stay off the playing field at all times.
As in past years, individuals who violate stadium policies, present
a safety threat, or are disruptive may be removed from the stadium and
may be subject to arrest. Disruptive UI students may also be disciplined
under the provisions of the Code of Student Life. In particular, students
found guilty of throwing objects may face suspension or expulsion from
Public safety officers will respond to complaints about unsafe and/or